Monday, April 21, 2008

I can feel my legs again

Apparently the workout isn't hardcore enough. I can feel my legs again today, and they told me I need to work harder!

Day 3, to look Rico Suave for the rad chic: Stair sprints! I talked to this cool bartender I work with, who is also a super workout star. She told me to do sprints to boost the metabolism. I have a ton of stairs at home, so I made a nice little routine of cardio exercise I learned in elementary school and coupled them with stair sprints....

In other new DJ Emir talked me into going to see DJ Green Lantern at Bash last night. I've always been busy when the Lantern has come through, so I tossed on the bullet proof vest and headed down to 19th and Market. I submit the following:

1. I didn't feel as threatened as I have in the past at Bash....and much to their credit, no one shot up the club last night.

2. Obviously I didn't stand in the crowd, rather, I simply made my way to the DJ booth to watch the action up close. There were good and bad aspects to my close proximity to Green Lantern.

First, I got to watch the light jock in action and learned a few things. Second, I realized that Green Lantern is a total ..emmmm...mean person. I lost total respect (I didn't really follow him before anyway) for this guy.

Green Lantern is decent on the mic, but everything he does is substandard to most local resident DJ's. He played the same set twice in less than two hours, and Lollipop by Lil Wayne four, FOUR, 4, friggin' times! To top it all off he was very egotistic and just downright mean to anyone that talked to him!

Why would a club continue to bring such a self centered idiot that can barely draw a crowd of MAYBE 150 in for $7,000 a night? It was pathetic to see how much was accommodated. A huge limo dropped him off and picked him up, plus the club had to pay for two of his homies to fly out with him....I'm not done!

The club manager was trying to be as accommodating as possible. Lantern asked for a bottle of Hennessey, and they brought bottle service to the booth. After it arrived, he started yelling at everyone about how it could spill. So, they took the bottle away, then he started yelling about not having a drink. Still trying to please the Lantern (who was already loosing most of his crowd) they brought him a full cup of Henny. After he got a bit drunk it seemed like he calmed down a bit, or not.

Nearly halfway through his performance he started yelling at me. "These chics suck, I only want bad ass chics on the stage!" He barked. I simply gave him a disapproving glare.

Upon concluding his set there were quite a few fans hanging around to shake his hand, take a picture blah blah blah...Rather than being chill he continued his ego trip all the way to his limo.

My view on touring is simple. People pay you to rock the party. Show up, be nice to everyone, do it big, let everyone know you're on their level and the nicest person in the world, get the money, go home. It doesn't matter if your fan base is ghetto, or influential, poverty stricken, or affluent TREAT THEM LIKE FAMILY.

Green Lantern is a great example of someone who doesn't have roots, or who forgot where they came from. His remixes aren't that great either (although his production work on Money Maker by Luda was impressive). Next time you want to hire Green Lantern, just give me $50 bucks. I'll make a mix TAPE that will rock the party harder!

On a lighter note, Steve Aoki is coming to Denver on May 24th. Steve is a great example of someone who battled through obstacles to get where he's at. His dad started the Benihana restaurant chain but never really gave Steve any money. Aoki ended up living a lower middle class lifestyle and was somewhat of an outcast. He eventually broke free and became a trend setter for the indie, punk, urban, electro crossover demographic.

I have to play the night Steve Aoki comes to town, but if you're a REAL music fan of indie to mainstream swing by Bar Standard and check out his set.....of course he won't go on until 12:30, so you can always come to Jacksons and listen to my set first :)

P.S. Thanks to Emir and the Bash staff for being cool last night.

Here are some tracks I play quite frequently, and that appear on the Steve Aoki mix cd:

Scanners - Low Life (LA Riots RMX w/uffie guest drop)


Green Velvet - Shake & Pop (w/Kid Sister Guest Drop)


and one more DIM MAK records track...this is one of my favorites and was a monster track last year!

Klaxons - Gravitys Rainbow (Soulwax Remix)

No comments: